Friday, July 21, 2006

Hmmm...

Now I have a blog, I feel that really I should be publishing in it.

There's a part of me that suggests that this is maybe simply an excuse to do anything that avoids work. There's another part of me that feels that writing may be cathartic, or at least more amusing than endlessly browsing through BBC News online, the latest Yahoo! office attachments (they really are rather good, actually, and always worth a glance when one has a spare half hour or so over a tea break), and eBay.

So... what shall I talk about? I could go like my other half has done, and write stories to publish here. Only thing is, I don't have the imagination. I'm a scientist - I do numbers, and equations, and I sit in an office or a lab and spend most of my day prodding computers into something resembling submission. I've found that threats work well - proof positive, should it be required, that computers are more animate than many of the people using them.

Alternatively, I could use this space to try to be amusing, and to offer a brief word of clarity and humour into the humdrum existence of the everyday. Sort of "Thought for the Day" but without the "wouldn't the world be nice if we were all nice" aspect. Only thing is, there're people far better qualified than me to do this, and also I think that I, not to mention you, dear reader, would become bored with impressive speed. In the world 100 metres "lost all sense of interest in this topic", I think I'd be a stong contender.

So, I think I'll opt for the rant. No surprise really - I've been listening to Jeremy Clarkson, Marcus Brigstock and [reading] Bill Bryson for the last... well, many - years now, and it's beginning to rub off on me. Rather like wet paint - you don't notice it until someone else points it out and then it's impossible to remove.

No comments: