Friday, July 28, 2006

When 150 characters just isn't enough...

Annoying, isn't it, when something you've spent time, love and energy on is rejected. When old friends meet you in the street with the warm greeting "oh, it's... well, anyway, how are you?" When your other half welcomes you back home from an arduous day at work with the words "the washing machine's broken." And when, after extensive training with catnip and the Rolled Up Newspaper of Retribution, your feline friend still belives that soft leather sofas make just the best scratching posts.

Imagine my frustration, therefore, to find that the extensive answer to the question posed when updating my profile for this blog was too long, and had to be cut to a mere 150 characters. I was really rather pleased with it. So I've decided to post it here.

The question was: Your aunt has just sent you a maple syrup dispenser shaped like a rooster as a birthday gift. Write a thankyou note to her.

So here goes...


Dear Auntie Mabel

Thank you so much for the kind gift you sent me for my birthday. It really reminded me of how much you mean to me, and ensures that, although birthdays may come and go, this present will always remain in my memory.

So, thank you again for the kind thought. And that reminds me, how is your eyesight? You were having trouble the last time I saw you - would I be right in thinking that you're no better? Do let me know how you're doing.

You'll be pleased to hear that the rooster can join the other menagerie of animal-shaped kitchen novelties you've sent me over the years. As you are aware, my flat is really rather minimalist, and the new chrome and marble kitchen I had installed last week was crying out for something to lift the monochrome.

Your loving nephew,

The Major

PS I completely forgot - it must be your birthday in just a few weeks now. I wonder what I should get for you? I must keep my eyes open - I'm sure I can find something even more individual than you did!

No comments: