Friday, August 03, 2007

Hats Off to Ann Treneman

It's rare that I open a newspaper (well, click on the correct button) without ending up far more depressed than before I did so. It's all so bleak. Death, murders, stabbings, shootings. Outstanding areas of countryside being turned into Tesco supermarkets. Beautiful, architecturally rich buildings being torn down to make way for yet more cheap-to build, expensive-to-buy, nasty and ugly housing. David Beckham. It's just all so bleurgh.

So imagine my surprise to find not something that not only made me smile, but actually made me laugh out loud.

Firstly, if you haven't discovered Ann Treneman, then please do so. Now. She's the political sketch writer for the Times, which, I know, makes her sound about as much fun as spending an afternoon in the company of Alan Sugar. But she's witty, quick, sarcastic and surprisingly entertaining, given that she's essentially writing about a room of aging men and women who are paid to stand up and shout at each other. Well, that's what it looks like, anyway. But today's post made me smile more than usual, so I thought I'd flag it up. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: